Thursday, April 15, 2010

P.S. I Love You Music.....

"i guess i'll always feel the same/love is strange/or P.S. I love you baby…."
- curtis mayfield

Any style of music can be soul music, be it pop, rock, jazz, funk, whatever. it's an ever changing title that describes a true display of lyricism, musicality, and above all true artistry. In all honesty, ALL music should be Soul music. In this day and age with songs speaking about sex like "she gon' let me beat beat beat…," one can't help but to become discouraged and wonder:
WHAT THE F#CK HAPPENED TO REAL MUSIC???

Music is art, a language and culture if you will. Above all else, Music is a living, breathing, walking and talking being. She is healing, beautiful, humorous and nurturing. The issue is today that people don't respect Her as such. Music is used, abused, and downright made a mockery of by all the the bullshit that's being put out these days under Her name. Lyrics don't have to be so sophisticated that nobody can follow them, but "beat beat beat beat" is plumb dumb and ignorant. The chord changes don't have to be complicated, but even the simplest thing can be played with all the feeling and meaning in the world if you respect Her.

"so don't hesitate to call out my name/i'll catch the final train to make my way to you./and I may be 10,000 miles away I won't delay my love is true/let me show and prove…."

- Kindred

Often like-minded folks (old people lol) will say "The Good Old Days" when they speak of good wholesome music from the soul. True, it was more prominent back then, but with artists like Kindred, Van Hunt, D'Angelo, John Legend, Kenna and Erykah Badu still in the mix it's evident that this level of artistry and true love and respect for Music is alive and well.

"Now, who you know without any flaws/That lives above the spiritual laws/And does anything they feel just because/There's always someone there who'll applaud"

- Lauryn Hill

Artists, musicians, and listeners alike: Music is hurting. She is weeping and slowly dying with the sad state of the industry today. It's up to all of us to uplift Her, we CANNOT CONTINUE MAKING A MOCKERY OF HER BY CREATING AND SUPPORTING GARABAGE THAT USES HER NAME IN VAIN! Demand more, expect better, and don't settle for less.

and to you, Music, my lover, my mother, my friend, my daughter, my everything: "I guess I'll always feel the same. Love is strange, or P.S…..I love you baby."

- sung.

1 comment: